We have had a huge decline in wildlife numbers. 20 years ago, turkeys were abundant on my place. They are still in the area but no longer on my heavily wooded place. They show up some during the breeding season but leave to go back to a big ranch close by. Deer were much more abundant. Coyotes were everywhere. Small game like armadillos, coons, quail, bobcats and possums were almost daily sightings. Snakes of all kinds were something that we had to watch for.

Tarantulas and the large centipedes were something to be careful of. I saw one of each this year and got excited. We now have hogs but the snake and small animal decline started before they showed up.

Other than building a pond and riding 4 wheelers, I haven't changed much. Not a lot more people have moved into the area so I can't blame encroachment. We did have a 4 year drought but the decline started before that. I believe it was a factor.

I believe hogs have played a part in it. They will kill/eat anything. I have hog traps that are ignored.

Deer season was a bust this year. Due to a massive acorn crop deer seldom moved around. I saw one that I could have shot. It was a yearling doe.

Game cam pics at feeders and on roads tell me that I still have coons and coyotes but I never see them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP