I would like to plant some trees around a 2 acre pond that I am planning (right now I have a 0.15 acre dugout that is working well). I am lined up to plant the trees in the spring so that I can start them growing while I wait for the right time to dig the pond.

I know deciduous are not a good idea. My preference is to plant mostly white pine, but they shed quite a few needles, so I’m wondering if I should instead do mainly spruce, particularly Norway spruce. My strong preference from an aesthetic point of view is to use white pine, but given this is a decision I’ll be locked into for a lifetime, I’m wondering if the needle fall might cause me to one day regret not going with something like Norway spruce instead.

Average depth will be 8 feet with max depths at 15 feet. There will be strong circulation and lots of bottom aeration. My hope is that with this the pond can easily “overcome” any needles that fall into it, but I’m hoping for a second opinion from the experts here. What do you think?