Before exploring using the proposed tube diffuser, I would as the first test move the diffusers to one far end of the pond/lake. Set diffuser/s on the bottom in 3 ft of water. Then measure the water temperature profile at the center and at the opposite far end at 7-8ft of water. I use 7-8ft of water to see if mixing depth reaches 8ft deep. Another option would be to put a diffuser at each end or side of the pond on the bottom in 3 ft of water. Measure water column temperature profile every 2ft at the pond center. Based on the results then formulate a plan for the next winter.

Highflyer from Texas says his non-aerated large pond is 14 acres. Average depth of the shallow end is around 3-4 feet. The middle of the pond is a very lazy V bottom. The average depth is around 8 feet with a substantial channel towards the east side. The deep end is at the dam. The average depth of the deeper water is around 18 feet but there is an "J" of deeper water in front of the dam. He regularly check and the summer thermocline is usually at 11-12ft.

So my thoughts are if one has a 10 to 15 acre or larger pond that has a thermocline depth of 11 to 12 ft. Does one need to aerate this type of pond when the thermocline is 11 to 12 deep. Keep in mind that water should be routinely mixing down to this thermocline depth, then why aerate this pond? What is the benefit????

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/16/20 09:51 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management