I don't think a kasko surface diffuser would work for the winter conditions of 10,000ft elevation especially when no one is continually present to monitor the ice buildup. Winter, snow, and temps are too harsh. I think a huge frozen fountain would be the result. I have pictures of what 0F temps do to fountains making them into solid ice sculptures.

I think Quarteracre has fairly accurately envisioned what will happen when the membrane diffusers are placed at 18"-2ft below the surface. He says ""The water going upward has to come from somewhere and that is from below. Most is from directly below, but there are no strong confines to keep it from drawing up some from the depths."" Yes I think there are no strong flow restrictions due to large differences of water density at temps of 34-40F compared to summer water densities of 55F and 80+F. Water at 34F-40F flows and mixes very freely. I think someone needs to do some practical research like this to find out what does actually happen during ice cover.

I am not sure how well or effective the lower deflector plate will cause the desired results. Unless someone has direct experience with something like this all is speculation until someone actually tests the theories.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/16/20 10:43 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management