Esshup

Good part is I don't have to worry about things going into the water besides maybe snowshoe hares. All the animals move off the mountain for winter.

So sounds like basically it will work the same as summer aeration. I am still curious on how winter will change things. For example, if in summer a diffuser placed at 4' deep will cause the thremocline to settle in at X feet, where will the thermocline settle in for that exact same setup in winter?? It would have to change it if the water mixes easier and further. I guess it is going to just take more experimentation for me. Bad part is my experiments take one year to complete, see results and try something different.

You are the pro and I am nothing so don't take my disagreements as me thinking I know anything. However, some things just don't match up with what I have seen. I don't think the 33 degree water temps are bad for what lives in my lake at all. This spring and spring 2018 right after ice out we had huge swarms of "millions" of scuds mating all over the edges of the lake. There were so many that my buddy, that's had a cabin up there for 20 years, couldn't even figure out what they were at first. Turned out it was 2 scuds hooked together mating. That's never happened before. We have more fatheads than ever as well. We caught the first fish this year about two weeks after ice out. It went in the lake October 2018 at 6"-8" and was caught June 2019 at ~14"-15". That growth is with the super low water temps, ice cover from late Oct 18 to mid June 2019 and a mid winter measured DO of .07PPM!! . My point is I am not seeing any evidence the 33 degree water temps are hurting anything at all. I actually think it may be helping fish survive water conditions they may not otherwise survive, but that's just a theory.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 01/14/20 08:35 AM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management