Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Bobbss
It would be nice if Optimal would do a multi size blend.

They do. The Optimal Bluegill food was multi sized before Purina came out with the multi sized feed. (and it still is) That's the great thing about them, they listen to the pond owners and design feed around their needs. Matt Rayl and I were the ones doing the testing and the ground work for Optimal so they could figure out what feed sizes worked the best for the multi-sized fish in the pond.

I am seeing some pictures of testing that I did for them are now showing up on other Optimal sellers websites without any credit for where the pictures came from. This one was from a feed test between Tractor Supply Sportsman's Choice, Purina AM500 and Optimal Bluegill.

Looks like AM500 would have been way too big of feed size for the target fish. I would think some AM400 would have shown better growth.

I will usually order one bag of small feed (have used AM400 and more recently Optimal largest of the Starter series) and hand throw it close to the bank all aroung the pond in small amounts for a good part of the year. In such small amounts a bag will last me most of the year. The little 2 and 3" BG that hug the protection of the shore line gobble it up. If I throw big feed out there, they will peck at it but can not swallow it. Soon a CC or larger BG shows up and eats it before the small fingerlings can get any to speak of.

I think sizing the feed to the target fish would be very important for successful growth.

I have heard it said on this site that early growth of a fish is important for overall life growth. That is why I make the effort to supplement these fingerling BG early on with the small size feed. Does not cost much (because of the such small amount fed at each feeding) but it does take a lot of time. Of course that is one of the things I enjoy most about the pond, driving around feeding the fish. So it is not a big deal for me.

Optimal Starter #4 what I will be ordering in the next month or two

Last edited by snrub; 01/13/20 07:56 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine