Here is my commentary about those diffused aeration systems. In theory the diffuser is great. In long term practical application it may not be so great. Here is my main problem of several.

The tubes produce many 'nice' fine bubbles, however the tube surface has a rough and quite porous texture. See the close-up picture on the website. Initially tested the best, but how long is the efficiency maintained??

This extensive rough interstitial surface area compared to smooth rubber or vinyl is a prime place to grow benthic slime, bacteria, and all sorts of attached algae plus collect sediment in all the nooks and carnies of the rough surface. It is amazing what microscopic 'stuff' tightly adheres to all those nooks and crannies. As the stuff increases in density it becomes more visible, dense and thicker. All these things clog deep into the pores toward the outside of the diffuser and reduce its overall efficiency. Then - how does one clean the rough textured porous surface on this type of diffuser?? Cleaning deep into the pores is very difficult, if even possible. Diffuser clogging reduces the water movement of all diffusers and causes increased back pressure to the compressor thus shortening comprssor life span. Compressors are not cheap!

A past aeration expert and associate of mine here Ted Lea (Forever Green) gave me one of this type of diffuser to test. He was disappointed with its relatively short term performance. Years prior to that, I had "been there done that" with the same diffuser plan using that style of rough surfaced texture diffuser material. Great bubble production but high clogging tendency. The diffuser sits in my garage.

Another item is the Kasko tests were conducted using brand new systems working at peak efficiency. How quickly does clogging occur and what are the variable test results when the diffuser gradually and continuously becomes more and more clogged? How efficiently can a diffuser surface be cleaned - a very important factor when choosing a diffuser.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/11/20 09:52 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management