You will have to stock the tilapia each year.... Tilapia die every year unless you are in the southern most states. I guarantee they will die during the winter of Kansas. Then increase or decrease that number of tilapia the next year based on how the previous tilapia performed eating algae. It could get a little expensive adding tilapia into 4 acres every year.

One important cautionary note in my experienced opinion. Make sure the tilapia are about a 50:50 mix of females and males or you will have very limited tilapia offspring to 1. feed bass 2. fewer offspring to who eat a lot of algae as they grow fast, 3. with few offspring you should stock more numbers of single sex male fish which is how the food market tilapia growers have them as grow out stock; as mostly all fast growing males. So IMO be sure your supplier has mixed sex tilapia! Mostly males will do the job you may need more than probably 40 lb/ac depending on FA abundance.

You mention above that 50 carp died (carp disease). Do we assume these were grass carp or common river carp???? What kind of carp?? It makes a big difference. Based on your answer this will determine my suggestions for more possible options.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/04/20 09:37 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management