Hello me and my buddy both recently bough pieces of land from my dad that were both building houses on and he is letting us build a pond on his land between my buddy and Is lots. This land is near Opelousas Louisiana about 30 miles north of Lafayette. It was all wooded land that we cleared. We have started to build a pond which is gonna end up being about 1 acre. We have the basic shape dug out down about 5 to 7 ft deep so far. We are a little worried that the clay content of the soil will give us trouble getting pond to seal. Tried posting a pic of core sample report but not having much luck. Basically it says
0 to 12" silt loam. 12% clay. ML
12 to 25" Loam. 12% clay ML
25 to 38" Silty Clay 45% clay CL-CH
38 to 58" silt loam 15% clay CL-ML
58 to 78" clay 60% clay CH
78 to 88" silty clay loam 28% clay CL

So is our pond gonna hold water? What do you guys think? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Neither of us have built a pond before so I'm trying to learn as I go here. Were getting a lot of rain this winter so digging has been slow so far. We have access to a large excavator and a very large bulldozer. The basic outline of the pond is basically done and we've dug about 8 ft down in part of pond and about 4 in the other. Seems like were hitting good clay.