I have used both the pellets and the hay on different occasions. I threw out the pellets and would advise against doing it that way again because they just went to the bottom of the pond. I did see a bloom weeks later when we went swimming and disturbed the ponds bottom. For me the pond reacted faster then when I used the hay. I will say the hay worked as a fertilizer and saw a good bloom. Today, I have bushy pondweed that I do not want to fertilize that plant, its already too aggressive for my needs. I was looking for a way to stimulate the zooplankton which is what I understand the hay and or pellets will do. I have learned in my research and again from Erics post, that it can cause a DO problem in some situations. But it only took a qtr of a bale for a good bloom the first time I used it and by using so little of it I would not expect a DO problem. But I am no expert and in fact am pretty "DUH" when it comes to such things. If alfalfa stimulates a bloom then would it fertilize the vegetation?

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy