Originally Posted By: Steve_
I know every project is unique, but in your opinion, what are the chances that this product could replace the necessity of using a liner for a small pond? I live in a valley and get tons of water runoff in my backyard, to the point where it’s always wet almost anytime of the year. I’ve dug a small hole (maybe 3’ x 3’ and 18” deep) and it’s held water for the most part for three weeks now. My plan for it is simply as a small bait pond, maybe something in the area of 10‘ x 10‘, and 3 to 4 feet deep. I want to keep it as natural as possible, and don’t want to invest in a liner, but I will if I have to. Any thoughts on this? Would bentonite clay or a liner be a better option? Thank you.

Hi Steve:

Bentonite can seal a pond - it must be tilled into the liner and plated and compacted with 12-18" high plasticity clay in 6" lifts. Adding bentonite between each layer of clay can provide additional insurance. Cost of bentonite install is typically high considering one must have a dry area in which to work and a contractor on site to operate equipment [dozer, sheepsfoot roller, maybe an excavator]. Bentonite also must be sourced and freight can be expensive. Lastly, not all bentonite is created equally, expansion rates vary from 2x to 16x. The chances your provider will truly know are slim, so one is guessing on application rates, which can further drive up your cost.

Pond liners run $1 - $2/sq ft professionally installed - for most projects this blows the budget out of the water - but considering your small footprint it might be an option.

I have zero experience with billboard liners - have to defer to others.

A clay liner installed is the best long term solution, but again you're looking at equipment costs, contractor involvement, and one needs access to high plasticity clay to install 12-24" compacted in 6" lifts.

I like polymers as they are far cheaper, require no equipment or contractors involved, and can be applied to a hydrated pond. Often I find the polymer the most cost effective route to take. We're reducing seepage by at least 50% in nearly all the projects in which I've been involved. Feel free to ping me anytime, happy to walk through your options - sounds like a cool project!

tj@hudlandmgmt.com

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]