Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
SetterGuy, that looks like a beauty!! Congrats!

I have another dumb question... It was said here that pretty much all does are pregnant after chase season is over.

My curious question is, can the bucks tell if the does they approach are already fertilized? Or do all the does get mate attempts by multiple bucks? and assume the weakest/slowest does have multiple bucks attempt to mate with them?

I was curious on whether survival of the fittest also meant that multiple bucks would attempt to fertilize the same does and certain characteristics of the males would vie for proper 'conditions' for fertilization of one or more eggs.

Based on everything I know about this, a doe will only be receptive to (and available for insemination during) breeding for a 48-72 hour window each year. That's what gets the bucks all fired up - it's a short window. Based on my reading a doe will come into estrus approximately the same time each year (barring injury or illness), and most of them come in within a 2-3 week range. When that range is depends on latitude more than anything. For me in Central IL we're smack in the middle of that time right now. A single doe can and will mate with multiple bucks in that timeframe (not if the buck in residence can prevent it) and if multiple eggs are ready then they can be fertilized by more than one buck.

As to whether a buck can tell if a doe has been bred, he could care less. If she's still in estrus they'll chase her until she or they die, or until she stands to mate. Once she's out of estrus they no longer have interest in her. This would be where the term 'hot doe' comes from. I've seen this in action a dozen times or more this season alone - a buck comes up to 3-5 does in a group and basically chases one out of the herd. She's the 'hottest' - as in she's the closest to being in her estrous period.

Supposedly there have been cases where a doe will indeed fight off/run away from a buck but then immediately stand for another one for breeding. So at least in some cases personal preference seems to be in play.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous