My RES/SMB pond, thread here, is all red and grey clay bottom and it is way too clear. Too much bushy pond weed. My old refurbished pond right next door made of the same clay was turbid for a while. But it had BH pretty thick (which tend to stir up the bottom mucking around in it). Now about 5 years down the road the LMB have pretty much eliminated the BH and the water has cleared up. Still not as clear as the RES/SMB pond, but much less turbid than it was. I also have to add that when it was turbid I did add some ag lime and that seemed to help some. Probably what helped more was adding some 2-4" rock lining the north and south shores keeping the wave action at bay. If you are in a windy location (these ponds are) wave action along a bank will definitely stir up clay turbidity.

Bank erosion and rock lining

Sediment pond to decrease turbidity from inflow of water Has some pictures of turbidity in the thread. The pictures are down the first page of the thread with the caption "Do sediment ponds ahead of a main pond help?"

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/15/19 10:55 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine