I'm planning on picking up some SMB and WE in the he next couple weeks and looking for input on whether to try to grow them some in cages. I had considered setting up a tank in my garage but seems like it would be pretty involved. There are LMB present in my pond so I realize these species likely will not do well long-term, but I'm just trying to get a few at least to survive to be a bonus catch. My question is, if the fish I'm able to source are only 4-7inches would it be best to try to raise them in cages until they're bigger or just stock them directly into the pond knowing that some will get eaten? Planning on getting about 20 of each knowing I'll lose some. Seems like fish in cages probably wouldn't grow a whole lot through the winter? I'm also thinking that since I have a lot of cover and forage in my pond maybe 1/3rd-1/2 of these smaller SMB and WE will survive if I just released them? I don't want to just throw expensive "food" into my pond if these fish are just too small to realistically have a chance at reaching adulthood.