I'm new to the forum so I hope this is in the right place. I learned of this forum through another forum I frequent and it seems to be a good place.

My parents recently bought some and that had 3 small ponds on it. They drained the 2 smallest ones (.09acre and .17 acre) to enlarge them. I won't get into the details of the 3rd pond as we call that the black lagoon. The smallest one was somewhat clear to begin with, but had a lot of weeds in it. The other one wasn't clear water but had so much growth in it it looked like low land with no water.

We all figured the clear one might have been spring fed but after draining and enlarging, going deeper too, the spring fed theory was busted as both ponds stayed dry for a couple of months. Recently the area had heavy rain and water began to hold in the ponds. They are maybe 10-15% full now. The water in the pond that was clear to begin with is a clearer blue water and the other pond is a murky muddy brown.

My question is, why would this one pond be able to keep the water clear but the other 2 ponds on the property not? The two ponds in question are a little over 600ft apart in a pasture. The clear water pond has 2 trees near it but in an open pasture, the other pond has about 4 to 5 trees spread around it on the edge of 2 pastures.