Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Feeding dropped off to next to nothing so I put the remaining feed in storage for the winter. I also changed the aeration over to the winter diffuser only setting and shut it down until needed when ice and snow show up. I have it rigged so I can just flip a switch in the house when I want to turn it on to blow a hole without having to bundle up and trudge to the pump house at the pond. smile

Bill my feeding has gone sporadic. One day they will tear the feed up, then we get a cold front and there will be feed floating uneaten.

I set my timers to half the amount and timed them to mid day instead of morning and night.

Last year when I was only hand feeding, I fed all the way up to the beginning of December. Not sure what is going to happen this year with the feeder.

The SMB in my RES/SMB pond have pretty much quit feeding. The water has cleared up and I can see them a foot below the surface, but for the most part they just ignore the feed. So I will toss out a little on a warm day to see if there is interest, but pretty much stopped feeding them. That is one advantage of hand feeding. You get to observe what is going on.

John,

Sounds like we are seeing the same thing. I opted to just quit feeding but I'll bet there will still be a few days when they would feed well. I hand feed and like the control it gives on the amount fed per day. Even during the summer, there are days when a front moves thru that they don't feed well. On those days, I might take half the pail of food back to the house. I considered a small feeder to keep feeding consistent even when I can't make it to the pond, but I have a bad FA problem and really don't need any extra nutrients that uneaten food will provide....Besides, I like to watch them eat! smile

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!