I deep fried just over a pound of HSB fillet pieces last weekend. Bottom line...Very Good!

I wish I had taken pictures of the raw meat and the fried end product, but I was in too much of a hurry to get the cleaning process over with and the fish went from the fryer pretty much to the mouth. So, your imagination will have to do...

I had read that the red meat should be removed from the fillets and imagined it to be a fairly simple task, but the red meat in my fish was rather marbled in the outer meat (not just a simple strip that could be cut off easily). So, I left it in the fillets as apposed to butchering up the fillets and wasting a third of it. Not to say that a third of the meat was red, but removing it would have also removed plenty of white meat too as I'm no master with a filet knife.

I do simple cooking...

1.) Fillets were chunked into thumb-sized pieces, bagged and put in the freezer...

2.) Thawed, drained, dipped in egg, white floured once, and fried.

So, no extra steps in marinading or any seasonings...just plain fried fish! I did have ketchup on hand just in case, but it was not necessary.

I did not get ANY "fishy", "muddy", or "pond" flavors like I have with some catfish or frog legs. I was very pleased and my vegan daughter even tried some (I think knowing that the fish were humanely raised helped her cheat a bit).

I'm also very glad they did not taste the way fish food smells! lol I can't brag enough on the results. Some people will only eat crappie and say bass even taste fishy. I don't understand any of that, but if your one of those with more perceptive taste buds with regards to fresh water fish...try some HSB...it certainly won't kill you.

Fish on!,
Noel