As a teenager, I turkey hunted every year with my Dad, uncle, and cousin. My cousin leased some cattle land (for cattle) in Major County. The 220 acre parcel had no ponds but there was a well and very large circular water trough. My cousin put 3 crappie in it and a bluegill. The remarkable thing about the crappie was that they, each and every one of them, sat almost motionless with their noses pointing directly toward the drain pipe just like spokes on a wagon wheel. It was the oddest thing I have ever seen. The BG was swimming around like it was hunting. Now this timed about just before the crappie typically spawn in OK and so maybe they were attracted to the pipe because of the spawning impulse as gehajake mentioned. I think first the crappie will want to be at whatever depth they prefer, and second they will more focalized to structure they can find at that depth when they rest. When they hunt, they will go where the food is.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers