Originally Posted By: TGW1
I have no experience with drawdowns in ponds or small lakes. But, I do have fishing experience when it comes to fishing large lakes that have had a drawdown due to working on the dams or due to some droughts. What I saw was fishing improved not only when the lake was lower but fishing also improved about 3 yrs after the lakes went back to normal. The lakes would be teaming with nice sized and good numbers of lmb. Downside to drawing down a pond would be if after you drop it and then we have a drought causing two years before it goes back to the waters level you wanted. Hay! it happens more than you think it might here in E. Texas.

Here is a story, while fish Caddo lake a few years back, I was getting stopped every day by the Game Wardens. I finally had enough of it and asked one what the heck was going on? He told me Caddo Lake was the only lake they could get their boats in because all the other lakes boat ramps were out of the water. I think that was in 2012 or 13 and we were going through a terrible drought in Texas. We also lost a lot of Oak trees all across E Texas that year.

Yeah, I remember the drought time. Summer 2011 was worst I can recall, 40 days of 100 plus degrees with no rain. That's the biggest risk of doing a drawdown, though I must say my little stream runs pretty constantly even during the heat of summer. Previous owner said it even flowed, albeit slowly, in 2011.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160