Hi anyone who might see this post! I was wondering if I could get an update on the success or failure of anyone who had tried planting bald cypress in water.

I live on a lake on top of Lookout Mountain in NE Alabama, and right now, we're having a bit of a drought so the water level is down nearly 2 feet. I just bought six 5-6' trees from a landscape place nearby, and I've planted them in the exposed muddy lake bottom, where there is normally 4-10" of water for the majority of the year. I'm hoping they not only survive, but thrive here, and I'm thinking they may have a decent chance because the drought isn't forecast to end for at least a couple of months. Provided the mud doesn't dry out (and I am keeping a close eye on that) does anyone here with experience in the matter think they will make it?

Also potentially worth noting is that the saplings all seem to have started their winter dormancy quite early. The guy at the landscape place told me it was because they are in containers but from what I have read it seems that they probably were not watered enough on his lot. What green remained on the few that hadn't completely turned rusty brown seems to be popping out after about a week in the mud.

Thanks in advance for any insight, it is much appreciated