3 or 4 pounds would be plenty to seed the pond, but you don't have much time left in this breeding season. It's probable over by the end of September herein Missouri. Not sure about your area. 3 to 4 pounds would be right for stocking in the springtime giving the whole summer (or most of it) for the reproduction explosion.

Do you plan on stocking game fish next spring?

If so, then I would suggest alot more, but how many more...I can't guess. Two months breeding time is OK (read, better than less), but their reproduction numbers are exponential and 4 to 5 months of breeding time will yield A LOT more minnows.

If not, just stock the FHM in april/may and stock your game fish the following spring.

As far a hook shy HSB. I have not found them to be easy or abundant to catch. You could stock a moderate amount of them initially and then start bucket stocking single sex LMB. I have thought about this, but hate to risk a sexing mistake and introducing a reproducing population. I am happy with the catch rates of the HBG and will be happy with the HSB as a population control tool. If my HBG start to overpopulate even with ladder stocking the HSB, single sex LMB may be introduced.

Fish on!,
Noel