Rethinking that 8 or 10 HSB number. I didn't count on natural mortality. I have an approximately 1/4 acre pond with CC, BG and GSF. It had BG and GSF. About 4 years ago I added 25 4 inch cats. There are now about 14 cats and have never had a successful spawn due to predation. That's OK, just Mama Nature at work. But, they are controlling the sunfish numbers. From a pond control standpoint, I see no difference in HSB and cats. Either will rule the pond and are eating machines.

I rarely fish it because it's about 3/8 mile from the house. I throw feed when I go there but it takes a 4 wheeler to even get to it. They don't get the opportunity to live on pellets so have to be predators.

Another predator concern. It will take time for HSB to grow large enough to start mopping up on the goldfish. In the meantime, they will be growing and further spawning. I think I would start with chunking a cast net to reduce the biomass. Then use the HSB as maintenance.

Just realized that I know zero about goldfish spawning but figure they will eat their young like all fish. Anybody have experience with that?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP