I put in 6 Koi 4 years ago, wound up with only 4. They are ENORMOUS, and they do reproduce. However, the Perch, Walleye, and Black Crappie devour the babies before they have a chance to grow out.

I have not had a problem with them stirring things up, but I don't recommend putting them in if you already have poor visibility. I have watched the Koi rummage on the bottom for leftovers after a feeding, and I can see where many of them would make a big mess. You will need to have the other fish control the babies, or you will have a management nightmare on your hands.

My water is clear to 15 feet, so those little baby white and orange fish are like a "Eat at Joe's" neon sign to the other fish. I saw that this spring as a cloud of fresh carp were being absolutely destroyed by the perch.

In NY, they are now illegal to stock in a natural pond, only small garden ponds are they allowed. They are considered an invasive species. You may want to see if there are similar rules for you, though NY is known as the nanny state.

Last edited by liquidsquid; 08/07/19 10:54 AM.