Appreciate everyone responding to my post. Let me try to answer a few questions that have been posted:

Did you stock 300, or 3,000?
We stocked 3000 small BG. I assumed that if they got to 6 inches and about 3 oz a piece, it would be about 560 pounds per acre. I know I am pushing the limits on water quality. Drainage area is about 56 acres feeding the pond. The excessive rain we have received this year may have helped with water quality.

No predators stocked in the Pond?
I was not aware of any predators in the pond. But I also thought no GSF were present either. I have had a lot of kids fishing this pond and no one has caught anything but BG or GSF.

How do you plan to harvest all those little guys?
To harvest all these fish, we are planning to use an electroshock boat in the fall. Plus when water temps drop, we will use traps and nets to remove fish. Not planning to remove all fish but create a pond that produces BG for years to come.

I like the idea of adding another feeder with maybe a smaller size feed. We are putting these fish in other ponds with existing predators (a lot of stunted bass less than 12 inches). So the idea of a 6 to 8 inch BG is really interesting thought. We have been adding woody veg to many lakes the last few years. Good idea to move the smaller BG to those lakes.

While this might be considered a production pond, we have created a great inspiration pond for kids and seniors. They enjoy catching a fish on every cast.

A few more photos to show the amount of GSF initially trapped. My fingers are about 3 1/2 Inch across for a sense of scale.

Attached Images
Common Area Pond 5-11 low res.jpg Common Area Pond 5-11 low rev BG.jpg Common Area Pond 5-11 low res BG 2.jpg
Last edited by MOFishermen; 08/02/19 05:49 PM.

I Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

To Fish or Not to Fish?
What a stupid question!