I've never PERSONALLY found that GSF have negative effects in larger ponds. They only spawn annually and BG never stop.

That said, over time and without predators, GSF will spread their genes and there's not a whole lot that can be done. If you add them to a large impoundment with predators/bass they get eaten pretty quickly due to being more fusiform than BG. I have a 1/4 acre pond full of them with 15 catfish as predator. That's not enough but I don't worry about it. I occasionally seine it and transfer the GSF to my one acre pond that has bass. When fishing, I think I've only caught one and it was a monster with pretty well watered down genes.

I would bet that the GSF came from the hatchery or upstream from another impoundment. They don't just appear and I don't buy the bird theory.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP