Our resort constructed a new 1 acre pond about two years ago. The POA did not stock the pond. Our fishing club was allowed to stock it this spring as a rearing pond or grow out pond for bluegill. Our goal was to stock 2 to 3 inch BG and raise them to 6 to 8 inches before relocating to other established lakes. We were hoping to achieve this by this fall.

On April 8, we stocked 3000 BG that ranged from 2 to 4 inches. We began a feeding program within two weeks and have been providing Optimal feeds. We started with No. 4 and have worked our way up to BG. Using a clover leaf trap we started sampling the fish in early May. We quickly determined a health population of Green sunfish GSF was present in the lake. Lesson learned was never assume it was not stocked!

Each time we sampled, we removed a lot of GSF. We still get good numbers of GSF each trapping but their size has decreased and total quantity is significantly less. Our BG numbers seem to be the majority last two times.

My question relates to the RW. Growth has been approaching 5 inches and our samples show a significant number of fish this size. It may be due to our clover leaf trap size. We have also used a cast net a few times. While our RW are above 100%, they seem too have flattened out. See data below.

I have read that you need to feed about 3% of body weight daily to support weight gain in an aquaculture environment. Since we are growing them to relocate to other ponds, should we use this amount.
OR
When our feeder goes off, food is cleaned up in about 4 mins. Should we increase the time on the feeder till food is cleaned up in 7 to 10 mins.

Appreciate all the advice and help.

Attached Images
2019 SPRING FISH STOCKING 7-28-2019 in pounds.jpg Charrette Commons Reduced Size.JPG

I Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

To Fish or Not to Fish?
What a stupid question!