Thanks! Really appreciate the responses!

The property and pond are both built up from the existing grade. The pond's banks are probably about 2 foot above the field. The grading of the field takes water away not towards my property and the other side of the road goes the other direction. I shouldn't have much if any runoff. I think.

1) This weekend we will take a trip and try some FHMs. If they die due to cold they aren't that expensive and it's an excuse to make the drive to the fish farm.

2) I'll work on some better anchor systems and perhaps stack a few more pallets, probably some temporary ones for the current water level as well for the FHMs.

3) I'm shy of HBG because we added them to dad's pond when we first dug it, fishing was great for a few years then it was all Green sunfish. I'm shy of regular BG because if my wife gets nipped she won't want to go back in the water, and swimming is something we want to take full advantage of. I agree RES by themselves aren't enough... but I'm just nervous about adding others. Dad made plenty of mistakes with HBG, Crappie and adding lake fish. I will do more research on YP, the Ohio handbook doesn't suggest them but I know they are becoming more popular and recommended for swimming ponds.

4) Great point. The 1/3 pump can't turn it over that much, even a 1hp couldn't. I will restart my research into Windmills vs Electric pumps to supplement it.

Thank you!!!!

Another question: I'd like to have turtles. Painted turtles, abandoned pet turtles Red Ear Sliders / Yellow Belly Sliders. I will make a floating platform for them. There aren't any close by creeks or water areas other than my Koi pond. Due to my rocks, will they still likely leave? I know they like mud and more natural ponds. I added a painted turtle to my Koi pond and he was gone in less than 24 hours. He had nowhere to go so he probably met his demise in the field somewhere.

Maybe I should give up my turtle dreams and let them come naturally?

I was thinking older abandoned turtles from craigslist may have a better chance of staying around as they are used to relying on humans for food?

I have put turtles in other rocked ponds, sometimes they stay for a year or two but eventually leave, but those ponds have muddy creeks nearby that are attractive to the turtles where my pond does not.