This is a 2.5 acre pond, over the last year coontail and algae has exploded, probably covers 60% of the pond surface. Average pond depth is 4 feet; max depth is 7 feet. Land across the pond is a ranch with about 50 cattle who come drink regularly and of course their manure contaminates the pond. I'm assuming the cows are the major reason as to why the vegetation is taking off.

My goals are 1) to greatly reduce algae and coontail; 2) have the pond support fish; 3) be able to fish without my line constantly getting tangled in underwater vegetation. I don't need the pond to be crystal clear, I just don't want all the algae/vegetation on the surface.

Here's what I have done so far:
1. Applied mizzen copper algaecide and aquavet diquot to 10% of pond surface.

2. Added aerator system with 2 diffusers that is rated for 3 acre pond, currently in start-up mode and only running aerator 1-2 hours per day with gradual build up to 24/6 over next week.

My questions:

1. I'm getting conflicting advice on using surfactant. Manuals for copper algaecide and diquot say you "may" use it but not sure if it's necessary or can I just use water?

2. Surface spray vs submerged application. Manual mentions that thick coontail vegetation may not respond to surface application and may need an "inverted emulsion with boom-deployed submerged hose delivery." I have no idea how to build that kind of system.

3. I figure it will take at least 10-12 applications of diquot/copper (max 10% of pond treated with 2 week gap between treatment). Would it be helpful to add beneficial bacteria in between the treatments or do I have to wait until the pond is completely treated first?

4. Do I put the beneficial bacteria next to the aerators or drop it in the pond where the algae/coontail is the most dense?

5. I want to add tilapia and grass carp (which is legal in Texas provided you get a permit/approval which I am working on). I know the Tilapia dies off in winter time. Should I start stocking those fish now or do I have to wait until more of the coontail/algae has been killed off with chemicals?

6. I'm assuming that running the aerator 24/7 after the copper/diquot treatment will reduce the chance of a fish kill?