Originally Posted By: Freg
Mike,

How much does the dye affect your water temps? My pond is pretty small, slightly larger than yours. I bought some dye but haven't used it yet, really don't wanna have to. My visibility is at about 40 inches currently.

I added about a quart of black dye yesterday. The pond was already starting to show some clarity from the last of the blue green dye I had applied several weeks ago. Visibility had grown to about 36 inches.

Today I took temp readings at 3pm. With an ambient temp of 91 and heat index of 112, mostly sunny skies all day, the pond surface was 84*f and 82*f at 3 feet. I didnt get a bottom reading today (I wanted to shoot my bow a bit). I'll try to get one tomorrow. I can say this, prior to the recent storm, under similar conditions, the surface would have been very near 90, if not above. I can still see the thermometer in 3 feet (barely) but the dye seems to reflect the UV Ray's so the water doesn't heat up as much.

This evening, I did notice a silvery sheen starting to grace the surface. Probably a bit of a bloom dieing off due to the dye. The surface aeration should take care of it in the morning.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!