Originally Posted By: SWMO 2
Well there is at least 1 giant catfish left, I have started to feed them just so I can try to see how many I am dealing with, I had one 25#+ fish as well as a few little ones come in today but I just started feeding yesterday.

a 25# + CC fish is uncommon. If it is really that large ... it won't be in there for much longer.

It sounds like you don't own the BOW which is why starting over is not an option. Feeding won't help your bass very much. You'll mostly grow your CC and for every 10 lbs of Bluegill you grow that the bass eat.. you will grow 1 lb of LMB. VERY EXPENSIVE proposition (~ $30 dollars/lb).

You need more food for every mouth. But you don't need more food. What you need is fewer mouths. It says so in the title (Overpopulated Bass ...). Read Bocomo's thread on how he harvested his way to bigger bass.

Stay with the program on harvesting the CC. If they are coming into feed then use it sparingly to bring them in and fish for them then. Use 3" BG on a good sized hook and break open the gut to put more scent in the water. just let it rest on bottom they will find it. Crush your feed or presoak it so that it sinks where you are fishing and use cheap catfish feed for baiting catfish. Use live BG if they are hook shy (and time for sunset forays).

As for the LMB try to harvest a minimum of 25 lbs this year, you should see increased numbers of BG and LMB in better condition next spring. Keep harvesting, this BOW can probably sustain the 25 # harvest annually ad infinitum. You can increase harvest to improve the size of LMB or decrease it if the fishing is too slow for your liking.

You should track your efforts here or similar thread.

**Bump**

Starting next year I would consider harvesting sunfish species to reduce competition and hybridization of the BG. If they are small, cripple them and throw'em back to feed your LMB.

If CC are reproducing, figure out if the BOW owner has supplied it with spawning receptacles. If he will allow it, remove them.

Last edited by jpsdad; 07/15/19 06:55 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers