Hi everyone, I'm in a mess and could really use some help / suggestions on fixing my pond. Not sure if this is the best place for the post, if not please re-direct me where it would be most appropriate.

I bought a house in Central Illinois that has a very large, two & a half acre pond on it. Unfortunately, the pond is overgrown with algae (probably close to 2/3's of it). The depth is approximately 25 feet in the center.

The previous owner's family said that the pond was clear in the past and that the family had swam / fished in it. It's stocked with several species of fish (including catfish, bass, perch).

I hooked up a pump to start getting some circulation going and my wife began treating it with 'Crystal Blue Copper Sulfate' which was recommended to us by a neighbor who also has a pond on his property. We have been treating it at about a gallon or so every ten days to avoid screwing up the eco-system and risking a fish kill-off.

Attached is a photo showing a small area of the coverage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have zero experience with ponds and don't want to muck it up, pardon the pun.

Thanks,
Andrew

Attached Images
20190712_153542.jpg