In my small niche market attempting to produce trophy size fish from feed trained fingerlings, I may have come up with a solution besides using floating cages to isolate smaller feed trained fish from the larger fish in my ponds until they have reached size to preclude predation. Additionally I'm out of property with 4 ponds now.

Thought some of you might be interested in this link to the concept of and building floating raceways.

I see this as a way to produce my own fingerling feed trained lmb, smb, and bluegill as well as a way to isolate trout fingerlings from larger trout without the hassle of algae build up on floating cages.

I'm going to be experimenting with netting lmb fry off of artifical placed nests in my heavilly saturated lmb pond and putting them in the raceway. Air flow and resulting water flow can be adjusted, and I plan on downsizing the size of the raceway on the link. I see this as a way to continully pump in zooplankton rich water to the fry but still be able to contain them, and once they get up to 1.5 inches remove them or keep out zooplankton to concentrate them to feed train them.

Worth a look for all you pondmeisters:

http://aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/efs/srac/170fs.pdf

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.