I went with 100% northern strain. They were hard to get as most of the hatcheries have branded versions of Floridas and F1s. Overtons was able to get fingerlings for me from a third party. Larger Northerns are easy to get but may have lost some of their potential growth at the hatchery.

Mine are a year old. I had a neighbor's grandson come over to catch some (and keep the smaller ones). He had a blast. I let a landscaper try the pond. He caught five bass in five casts. I think you can put a piece of aluminium foil on a hook and they'll bite. Only downside is catching the bluegills is tough as the bass hit the hook first.

I have friends who have Floridas and are unhappy. The fish are big, but rarely bite. So - if your priority is kids catching a bunch of decent sized fish, I'd recommend the Northerns.

I don't have experience with F1s. They may also be a good option, at least for the first generation. Again, hatcheries will push them as they are branded. I may add some Florida genes when I do a genetic refresh in a few years.

As an aside. Consider feeding the bluegill. They will grow fast and have many kids. Your bass should be feed trained and they'll eat too if you use one of the high $ feeds.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18