The pom pom fly is a tied fly that is made out of pom pom material I believe that is immitates a flaoting pellet. You'll have to get someone else to explain this one to you as I 've never used them. Anyone? You could do a search as it has been covered.

A PPF or Pantyhose pellet fly consists of one to three floating trout pellets that have a piece of pantyhose stretched around them and then the hose is tied off with a piece of monofilament line. Excess hose is clipped off and you insert a small hook as in a salmon egg size hook into the hose.

The reason for the above is the pellets themselves are too difficult to hook (too hard), and with the above method you can cast the PP out and it will float just like a normal pellet. Having the scent of a pellet as they are the real thing the trout suck them up. I cast mine on a spinning rod with light line but I have had others put them on a fly rod.

Don't be surprised though if your trout aren't receptive to this floating treats until low light periods as in early morning or evening. In my trout pond you can throw pellets all day long during midday and swear there is not one trout in the pond. But come low light period time and they are crusiing the surface looking for pellets.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.