Last year i built a DIY fountain from a 3/4hp sump pump and a couple buckets. One bucket holds the pump and is sunk to the pond bottom and the other bucket i cut in half, filled with rigid foam so it floats on the surface and then connected a hose through the center to the pump bucket below. As a fountain it works fantastic and i use threaded pvc pipe caps with various slots and drilled holes to achieve different spray patterns. I already had the pump and buckets so it cost very, very little to make this especially when compared to similar HP systems for sale in the thousands.

The one thing i didnt realize was how much it would cost to run! Are there pumps more intended for this that cost less to run and can still provide enough power for a good fountain and aeration/mixing of the water? Last year i ran it about 1-2 hours a day on weekdays and 6-8 hours on sat/sun and it was $40+ a month to run. This year we only run it while were relaxing pond side for the water running sounds and aesthetics trying to keep the cost down. I want to run it more so it helps aeration and water quality, although im not even sure if i need to?

thanks