If it keeps going the way it has been, QA, I may have to shut my bottom aeration down completely myself. Just go with my surface fountain and let the deep stratify until it cools off again. A little DO is better than none at all.

JKS...Last year, before I put in aeration, my surface temps hit 99f. I had to back my boat into the pond and let the outboard stir things for a few minutes to cool it off, having no aeration, the bottom was significantly cooler and I was able to drop the overall temp into the 80s. That's risky tho, because I was dropping temps quickly and also stirring up toxins as well. It worked for me, but my pond was young and hadn't built up a lot of junk yet.

I now have both bottom aeration and just built a surface fountain that pulls water from about two feet deep. I can direct the spray to create a vortex on the surface which allows the upper column to aerate some without pulling up water from down deep. It does seem to help cool the surface a little during the day but I'm still running my bottom system at night...for now anyway. After reading QAs remark about shutting down his bottom system due to excessive ambient temps I'm thinking I may have to follow suit soon.

It's an experiment and not sure exactly how it's going to play out but it should allow for some cooler water to remain at depth where the fish can escape to, at least for a little while until they have to come up for more oxygen. The whole rig cost me less than $200.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/24/19 10:16 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!