Originally Posted By: ewest
Viral Diseases The only important viral disease of baitfish infects golden shiners. The golden shiner virus causes gradual mortalities over several months. A few dead or dying fish may appear each day. Hemorrhaging of the underside, back, eye, and head of the fish are signs of this disease.

Interesting, I might have this running in my pond at the moment. It won't hurt my feelings if my GSH population gets knocked down a bit.

Here is another article on GSH virus.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication..._the_Same_Virus

Abstract
Moribund golden shiners Notemigonus crysoleucas sampled during winter and spring and moribund grass carp Ctenopharyngodon idella sampled during summer were necropsied and cultured on cyprinid cell lines. In all cases, a syncytial cytopathic effect occurred and viruses were successfully passaged. Characterization by electron microscopy, diethyl ether resistance, iododeoxyuridine resistance, and acid resistance confirmed that the isolates were aquareoviruses. We used polymerase chain reaction to test all isolates; primer sets were based on a published sequence for segments 1, 2, 3, and 10 of the grass carp reovirus (GCRV). Products of the expected sizes were amplified, then cloned and sequenced. The isolates were about 97-100% identical to each other and to a published sequence for golden shiner virus (GSV) and were 90-93% identical to GCRV. At the amino acid level, our isolates were 96-100% identical to each other and to GCRV. The similarity among our isolates and the published GCRV sequence was equivalent to the similarity among published GCRV sequences; we therefore conclude that GSV and GCRV are the same virus. This conclusion is confirmed by our isolation of this virus from both moribund golden shiners and moribund grass carp. Based on our work, we conclude that GSV is synonymous with GCRV, and that GSV was probably imported into the USA concurrently with the introduction of grass carp by federal agencies in 1963.