Keep in mind that my pond has not unfolded yet, but thus far, I am very happy with it...

I believe that giving the first year solely to the FHM's was key to my initial success. The FHM population went from a 35$ dollar bag (3-1/2 pounds) of fish to potentially gazillions. These fish spawned and those YOY matured into adults and spawned again and again. With gamefish stocked at the same time...those YOY FHM's would have been prey. The following year, I stocked 2 to 5 inch HBG which could only prey on the YOY of that year for the most part. The 42 HSB could prey on them all. Now, this year the HSB are preying on the adults and the HBG are preying on the YOY and medium sizes. This approach has given me two great years of natural forage with a potential third good year. I am afraid that if the FHM's and the game fish were stocked at the same time, the second year would be lacking and the third might be inconsequential. This is my guess. Of course, my goal was to grow some BIG HBG not necessarily to catch fish sooner rather than later. Side note: my pellet feed bill is likely a lot less due to the FHM's being the main course.

More later...

Fish on!,
Noel