Originally Posted By: jpws
Also trying to understand why one would prefer hybrid bluegill vs straight bluegill.

The difference between the BG/LMB route and the HBG/HSB route has to do with their reproduction and recruitment rates. BG and LMB will reproduce a lot more than the HBG and HSB. HBG typically reproduce with the majority of the first and second generation being males while the HSB very rarely reproduce in ponds. This lack of reproduction does not create as much forage (baby gills) and is typically accompanied by feeding pellets to make up for the lack of forage. The possibilities of overcrowding and stunting should be reduced and requires less culling in trying to maintain a good pond balance.

Here's a quick thread on my first years success with the HSB in the pond...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=38025&Number=494998#Post494998

This route is set up for growing larger gills while the HSB are really just there to help keep the HBG's under control without adding recruitment on the predator's part. My thoughts are to allow the original stocked fish to grow without much competition so that they "can be all they can be" while culling out HBG offspring that get too big for the HSB to eat. It's still a chore sometimes, but much less of one when compared to culling BG and LMB. Here's a massive read on growing bigger BG which is a better fit for smaller pond when compared to trying to grow larger LMB...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189988#Post189988

I plan to cull HSB for table fare on occasion and ladder stock them as I go. As far a the original HBG...we'll see how well their individual sizes go and their overall populations to determine if ladder stocking is required.

I did not stock CC and merely bumped up my HSB numbers....

My 1/4 acre pond received 500 HBG, 42 HSB, and 90 Res. So far so good. It's been about 14 months and the pond records are HSB = 1.6 pounds, 14.5" long and HBG = 1/2 pound. I believe their growth is due to the large population of FHM's that was achieved the year prior to stocking the gamefish.

Fish on!,
Noel