Aaron - I think that aerating only a portion of a larger body of water like recommended by McComas 2003 i.e.10% and similar to what you seem to be doing provides a transition zone from higher to lower of oxygen and temperature. The fish can seek an area that at least meets their minimal needs for survival. When small water bodies are aerated too much or to strongly the transition zone between high and low is eliminated and the fish have to tolerate the prevailing conditions; no refuge areas are available.

Bruce C. The two main anaerobic decompositional harmful gasses are hydrgen sulfide and methane. Hydrogen sulfide is very water soluable and toxic to fish at very low levels which I am sure you know. H2S to fish is similar to carbon monoxide to humans. Decompositional carbon dioxide should not acumulate to levels that are toxic to fish, plus the plants will absorb most of this if they get light. Decompositonal hydrogen gas should be very reactive and bind with available ions to form other compounds.

Dave W. I thought the upper level and graduate student's main purpose in school was for slave labor. It always seemed that way when I was in school. Things have no doubt changed since I was in graduate school. Any way to make this class project for fisheries or limnology class? What you need are several 1/10 to 1/2 acre research ponds. Students shoveling snow instead of drinking beer, what a concept! It probably would never catch on in today's world.

TO ALL READERS IN THE NORTH. To see the importance of removing some of the snow from the ice in winter see the post and testimony of Ability Zone on July 22 2005 below.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management