Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Removal of the 850 YOY per ac was from removing every egg ribbon that I could find. There will always be a few YP ribbons in deeper water or among weeds that are missed. Expect about 20,000 to 30,000 eggs in a ribbon from a 9" YP. Males, even with an emphasis on harvesting males, will always be abundant enough to fertilize most or all the ribbons. Worst case will be only a partial 60%-80% fertilization of the ribbon as the spawn season progresses. Early egg laying usually has the best fertilization of ribbons.

I have seen this first hand. We have placed branches along the shore line for our perch to spawn on every year we have had them since 2012. We then remove all the perch ribbons we find. Last year was the first year that we have had perch minnows in our minnow trap. It has taken that long to catch some. We have always seen some recruitment with line catching 5 and 6" in the spring.

WE have max 5 walleye in the pond and at most 10% cover. We never I mean never have seen or caught any of the walleye. I do know we need to add more but in Ontario these are very hard to come by.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.