Welcome to the forums Erik,

It would appear that the FHM's are destined to fade away as a stocked pond matures. My pond is on its second summer with predators which is its third summer with FHM's. The FHM population is a fraction of what it was last year. My pond, by luck pretty much, is set up too potentially extend their presence. For one, several stacks of pallets are located at the shallowest sunny end of the pond along with the dock which gets frequented almost daily. This seems to be where the HBG spend their time while the HSB stay further out in the pond where the water is deepest and much more shaded. I also have a strong population of crawdads and their rocky habitat is also in the same area away from the HSB. This same area has some tree stumps and rock piles. In short, my FHM's and crawdads have their preferred space about as far from the HSB's preferred space as can be expected. This may help them extend their (FHM and Craws) presence, but once the HBG get to where they can eat the larger minnows and the HSB can eat the larger craws...their strong populations are bound to dwindle. Time will tell.

Ultimately, I dream of a forage pond that can raise the FHM's and a large stocking can be done every fall. There may be a blessing to the minnows demise as the HSB are there to keep the HBG recruitment to a minimum, if the minnows kept a strong population, the HSB may not be so enthused to feed on the YOY HBG.

Fish on!,
Noel