My understanding is that barley "straw" helps to control algae. I dont think it has much affect on turbidity caused by sediments floating in the water.

I've not been able to source barley locally, but have used wheat straw in baskets with limited success last year. I'm trying it again this year as well.

The decomposition of the "straw" produces hydrogen peroxide which doesn't kill algae, but supposedly hinders its growth. Its important to know you need to use straw...not hay. Hay contains a lot of seed you dont want in the pond. Straw is mostly stems.

Now...I have heard of pond owners using whole bales of straw to help clear muddy water on new ponds with some success. How they used it (whole bales in the water or broken up on the banks), I'm not sure of.

I use baskets with flotation so the sun can hit the wet straw. And it's a lot easier to pull a basket out than a bale of wet, rotting straw.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 05/10/19 05:52 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!