Unless the feed is moldy, you're not hurting fish with old feed, but they are likely not deriving much benefit from it, either...just creating lots of fish waste. I'd use all feed within 6-12 months of manufacture date, sooner if possible. Buy fewer bags at a time - this helps you keep it fresh.

You know your fish feeding habits, but 8 seconds seems like a long time when you're just feeding YP and HBG. Are you verifying pellets are all cleaned within 10 min? Checking all the banks? Be sure to watch how long it takes for them to clean that up, and check the shoreline for wasted pellets. Again I feed 1-2 seconds max every 15 min and this ensures all pellets are consumed...Right now I'm using 1 second throws at 7:50 PM and in 15 minute increments until 8:50 [five feedings]. When fish start to clean it up in 3 minutes I will increase to 2 seconds to keep within that five minute range.

Obviously do what works for you, just sharing my method to help eliminate excessive waste and reduce the food budget.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]