My newly renovated pond has had a few outbreaks of the floating slime stuff (FA) and I have not dedicated the efforts to prevent it because I am hoping that it was just a few cases of the perfect conditions (old remaining muck from the pond renovation, clearer waters, pre-aeration, etc). But, I did purchase an aluminum landscaping rake, a couple pool noodles, and a length of cheap nylon rope to make a FA rake. I don't have a picture of it so you will have to use your imagination, but basically I split one of the noddle lengthwise (cut to the rake width) and forced the rake prongs through it and then secured it with a few zip ties. Then I slid the other noodle over the handle leaving some of the end of the handle exposed for gripping it for throwing it out into the pond (zip tied also). Tie the rope to the end and you have a better way to remove the floating slime.

Should you decide to take on this type of exercise, I can tell you that it is much easier than just trying to drag it out with a regular garden rake. It's still some work, but much faster and it can get out as far as you can throw the rake. I wait for the wind to blow it to one side and it usually takes a couple attempts on different days to get most of it gathered up.

It is thought that by removing the dying algae that it removes the nutrients that would otherwise sink back down and add to future FA growth. Some use it in compost piles with success, but I just take it to a nearby, downhill ditch and dispose of it. It would seem like you have a ton of the stuff, but it compresses into five gallon buckets more than you would think especially if you have ample holes in the bottom of the bucket to let the water squish out as you stuff the algae into it.

Older ponds that have filled in over the years are more prone to FA problems. They have shallower waters that allow sunlight to reach the bottom where this stuff starts it's life cycle.

Fish on!,
Noel