Hey John.

Yeah, I knew going in that I was behind the curve for algae control. Luckily, my FA issues arent major, only around the edges because my pond gets deep really fast. Its typically 4' deep 5' from the bank in most places. I do have other algae issues I'd like to see go away (that petroleum looking sheen that eventually turns brown and scrums up the windblown side of the pond), but it's a balancing act to not have that and still maintain a good phytoplankton level with the spawn cranking up. What to do, right?

My main reason for wanting to try dye was for temp control. Last year, the pond got scary hot (99f) before I put in aeration and went almost immediately to running at night. I was already creeping over 80 by mid April and reduced runs to 3 hours from 6:30 -9:30 am. Until today I could only check bottom temp of the evening and had a variance of 9 degrees top to bottom at 6pm. I checked it this morning an hour after the pump shut off and it was 78f throughout. Adding dye helps it cool off at depth quicker and I still keep a good level of DO down deep. As it gets hotter, I'll adjust again to running only before sunrise.

I think I could use a bit more dye, but we've got more rain coming and the pond tends to flush easily, so I'm going to wait a couple more days before adding any more. Visibility has been staying around 18".

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!