I recieved my delivery of twilight blue pond dye today. So after taking temp readings top and bottom and making some notes on my calendar I put a little dye in the pond. My primary goal for the dye is to help control algae blooms (FA and BGA)as well as help shade the pond from the oncoming heat of summer.

Knowing the reduction in UV rays are going to hender any future phytoplankton blooms, is it possible I may need to think about fertilizing sometime in the distant future to help promote a bloom this fall? I know... it's barely spring... but no time like the present to think about the future.

I adjusted run times on the aeration to 3 hours this past Monday and am running from 7a to 10a. My temps today were 78 on top and 70 on the bottom. I'll take another reading tomorrow to see how the dye has affected temps and adjust accordingly. I expect I may be able to move back to warmer parts of the day and longer runs without as big a threat of super heating the pond (I was already bumping 80 on top and 77 on the bottom before changing run times).

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!