Originally Posted By: Jtparker779
Excuse my ignorance, but GAM? Also, what food? Ive read aqua max but there are 100 types

GAMs = Gabusia. Also known as mosquito fish. They are a very prolific minnow that do live birth rather than spawn. They typically dont get much bigger than 2" and can be readily identified by a black spot near the anal vent. (I think it's the unborn on the females, males dont have it) I believe they are actually akin to guppies. I've had them in my pond naturally almost since day one along with mud minnows and they seem to hold their own even with all the different higher on the food chain predators. Their numbers dwindle down, then come booming back, here anyway. They are hard to find from a hatchery as apparently, there's not much money to be made on them since they exist almost everywhere in the wild.

I personally use AM500 as my primary supplemental feed, and live Black Soldier Fly Larvae that I raise myself. The AM500 is a very good feed, high in protein and fat, it's big enough that very small fish really have to work for it, but small enough that 3"+ BG can readily eat it. I only feed once a day, by hand, and only what they can eat in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 04/25/19 03:22 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!