Female FHM adhere egg clusters to the underside of objects and males stick around and guard the clusters aggressively - in these cases inside the tire beneath the sidewall and inside the PVC section. I haven't needed to puncture my tires to get them to sink, I'm just really patient and make sure to get the air out as I'm setting them - I'm barefoot or in waders obviously and this helps. If they were floating I'd just pop a hole in the sidewall to allow air to escape. I use scrap PVC 3"+ diameter and drill a 1/2" hole one one side and use more scrap 1/2" PVC and push into the clay. I set the PVC section on top of the PVC stick [about 6"] to keep it off the bottom - otherwise the PVC condo will quickly fill with silt/organic material in a season or two. If the PVC section is too long I'll drill two holes equidistant in order to support the section somewhat level as it will tip forward or backward onto the pond bottom otherwise. I also save cracked 5G buckets, now useless for water hauling and fish transfer, and lay them on their side with a rock to weigh them down and keep them from rolling. I've had good success re-purposing these scrap materials for FHM spawning habitat.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]