A LMB can eat anything up to 1/3 its length. So a 6 inch bass will target prey up to 2 inches long. As they get bigger, so does their food requirements. A 12 inch bass is going to seek out the biggest prey it thinks it can swallow.

You could introduce smaller LMB now as long as you have something else in the pond to feed on smaller than your smallest BG. Also take into account that BG need very small feed items. Even a 10" BG cant eat anything bigger than maybe 1-2".

I would wait on the bass until your BG start to spawn. Those fry are going to be the building block for both species' success.

Its nice to have someone else here who's pond goal is big BG. Most pond meisters are wanting to raise trophy sportfish (LMB/SMB/WE). The theories for raising big BG is a bit different than raising big bass. It takes a lot of predators in small size class to keep the majority of your BG in check so the best and biggest continue to thrive. I've come to think, for my purposes anyway, crappie are a better predator than bass (I have both in limited numbers as well as others) They dont get as big, can eat some relatively large BG for their size, and are prone to overpopulation and stunting. They are the first to spawn, so their fry act as food for both themselves and existing BG.

There's a lot of good information out there on theories and case studies on how to raise monster BG, even in a small pond. It's a balancing act, for sure.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 04/22/19 08:05 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!